The First Cup: Brooklyn Celtic win soccer’s version of the Ice Bowl to reach Round 4 (Jan. 18, 1914)

Posted by | January 18, 2013

Brooklyn Celtic from the 1913/14 season introduces “The First Cup” series, which revisits the first running of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup (then known as the National Challenge Cup) that took place from the fall of 1913 to the spring of 1914.

Editor’s note: As you read this, you’ll notice a lot of players with just one name. This is not an oversight on our part, but rather, many of the sources of this information (newspapers, publications etc.) only use the last name of players in their stories. If you have confirmation of any of their names, or any other details that would add to our historical records, feel free to reach out to us HERE. We are always looking for help with historical research.

Links to the full series are located at the bottom of this story.

Played on a field that was partially covered with ice, Brooklyn Celtic advanced to the fourth round with a convincing 5-0 victory over Babcock and Wilcox at Edison Field in Brooklyn.

Support and its coverage of the US Open Cup by purchasing a "Champions" shirt, honoring the five clubs from the pre-Modern Era (1914-1994) to win four or more US Open Cup titles. Visit THECUP.US SHOP

Support and its coverage of the US Open Cup by purchasing a “Champions” shirt, honoring the five clubs from the pre-Modern Era (1914-1994) to win four or more US Open Cup titles. Visit THECUP.US SHOP

The Bayonne booters put up a good fight in the first half, holding Brooklyn to a 1-0 lead through Thomas Campion’s goal in the 20th minute.

B & W opened the second half on the attack, but were soon forced into the defensive. Rodney O’Hallaran broke the ice, so to speak, in the second half to make it 2-0. Albert Lonie then doubled the score with  a pair of goals. McQueen added the final goal to boost the score to 5-0.

The large crowd that turned out to see the third round game between Columbia Oval and Alley Boys were instead treated to an exhibition game when the referee declared the grounds at Columbus Oval unfit for play.

At nearby Manhattan Field the St. George-Brooklyn National League game was also called off. Instead of turning the crowd away, St. George and Columbus Oval played an exhibition game, which Columbia Oval won 2-0. The National Cup contest with Alley Boys will be played on Jan. 25.

1913/14 National Challenge Cup – Third Round
Jan. 18, 1913

Brooklyn Celtic FC 5:0 Babcock & Wilcox FC
Edison Field – Brooklyn, NY

Scoring Summary
Celtic – Lonie (2), McQueen, Campion 20’, O’Hallaran

Celtic: Morris, James Robertson, Andrew Robertson, Hugh Kelly, Frank O’Hara, Patrick Butler, Thomas Campion, Albert Lonie, Rodney O’Hallaran, King, McQueen

Babcock – Kusion, Gable, Harding, Smith, Davidson, Bick, Cassels, Wright, Rabbit, Rogers, Sweeney

Referee – Thomas Cunningham

A detailed look back at the 1913/1914 National Challenge Cup

Sept. 12, 1913 / Oct. 11, 1913: How the 1913/14 National Challenge Cup began
Nov. 1, 1913: The inaugural National Challenge Cup gets under way
Nov. 2, 1913: Brooklyn Field Club begins their journey as Round 1 concludes
Nov. 29 1913: Farr Alpaca forfeit Round 1 replay with New Bedford FC
Dec. 6, 1913: Four teams move on to Round 3, two more to be decided by protest or replay
Dec. 14, 1913: Second Round nearly complete as USFA announces protest results, draw for Round 3
Dec. 21, 1913: Third time’s the charm for St. George FC as Round 2 comes to a close
Jan. 12, 1914: Rochester’s MacNaughton Rangers forfeit replay with Niagara Falls Rangers
Jan. 24, 1914: Differing opinions as New Bedford FC eliminates West Philadelphia FC to reach quarterfinals
Jan. 25, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club, Columbia Oval join the quarterfinals
Mar. 8, 1914: Pullman FC beats Hyde Park Blues in Chicago derby to complete quarterfinal field
Mar. 28, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club defeat ‘cup holders’ Yonkers FC to reach Challenge Cup Semifinals
Mar. 29, 1914: Brooklyn Celtic defense carries them past Columbia Oval, into Semifinals
Apr. 5, 1914: Niagara Falls Rangers topple Pullman FC to complete Semifinal field
Apr. 18, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club edge New Bedford FC to reach inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
Apr. 26, 1914: Brooklyn Celtic cruises past Niagara Falls Rangers to reach inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
Before the 1913/1914 Final: By boat or by train, Brooklyn Field Club, Brooklyn Celtic prepare for inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
May 16, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club wins inaugural National Challenge Cup on late winner over Brooklyn Celtic

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.