The First Cup: Rochester’s MacNaughton Rangers forfeit replay with Niagara Falls Rangers (Jan. 12, 1914)

Posted by | January 13, 2013

Niagara Falls Rangers in the 1913/14 season introduces “The First Cup” series, which revisits the first running of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup (then known as the National Challenge Cup) that took place from the fall of 1913 to the spring of 1914.

Editor’s note: As you read this, you’ll notice a lot of players with just one name. This is not an oversight on our part, but rather, many of the sources of this information (newspapers, publications etc.) only use the last name of players in their stories. If you have confirmation of any of their names, or any other details that would add to our historical records, feel free to reach out to us HERE. We are always looking for help with historical research.

Links to the full series are located at the bottom of this story.

In another twist to what had been a soap opera-like series of events, the MacNaughton Rangers announced they would not be able to make the trip to take on the  Niagara Falls Rangers on Jan. 18 for their second round replay. The MacNaughton management sent word to Niagara Falls that a number of their players had fallen ill, and another two players were out of town and unavailable.

McNaughton Rangers during the 1913/14 season

The Niagara Falls Rangers protested their 1-0 second round loss on the grounds that MacNaughton’s Bliss had signed an amateur form with the club and was holding a position as a paid high school coach, which, according to the USFA, made him a professional. The federation initially denied the protest on Dec. 14 pending further investigation. After looking into the matter more closely, the USFA reversed their decision and granted the replay on Jan. 5 and also fined MacNaughton $15 for failing to handle admission properly for the original game that took place on Nov. 30.

With the forfeit, Niagara Falls moves on to play Detroit’s Roses FC in the third round.

Niagara Falls manager Glasgow had mixed emotions about the announcement.

Support and its coverage of the US Open Cup by purchasing a "Champions" shirt, honoring the five clubs from the pre-Modern Era (1914-1994) to win four or more US Open Cup titles. Visit THECUP.US SHOP

Support and its coverage of the US Open Cup by purchasing a “Champions” shirt, honoring the five clubs from the pre-Modern Era (1914-1994) to win four or more US Open Cup titles. Visit THECUP.US SHOP

“Their decision is all right, but we would have much rather won our way through,” he told the Niagara Falls Gazette. As for the prospect of playing soccer in Detroit in February, Glasgow seemed less enthusiastic.

“We’ll go alright. It’s going to be an expensive trip, and the prospects of a big gate in Detroit are not very bright in the middle of winter.” Glasgow then smiled and added, “I don’t know whether we’ll ever get back, though.”

The MacNaughton forfeit marked the third walkover of the tournament in the first two rounds. The other two took place in Round 1. The first was Tacony FC’s forfeit to Kensington AFC when they chose to play an American Cup game that was scheduled on the same day. The other was when Farr Alpaca of Massachusetts decided they would not be able to travel to New Bedford for the replay of their protested 1-0 loss.

A detailed look back at the 1913/1914 National Challenge Cup

Sept. 12, 1913 / Oct. 11, 1913: How the 1913/14 National Challenge Cup began
Nov. 1, 1913: The inaugural National Challenge Cup gets under way
Nov. 2, 1913: Brooklyn Field Club begins their journey as Round 1 concludes
Nov. 29 1913: Farr Alpaca forfeit Round 1 replay with New Bedford FC
Dec. 6, 1913: Four teams move on to Round 3, two more to be decided by protest or replay
Dec. 14, 1913: Second Round nearly complete as USFA announces protest results, draw for Round 3
Dec. 21, 1913: Third time’s the charm for St. George FC as Round 2 comes to a close
Jan. 12, 1914: Rochester’s MacNaughton Rangers forfeit replay with Niagara Falls Rangers
Jan. 24, 1914: Differing opinions as New Bedford FC eliminates West Philadelphia FC to reach quarterfinals
Jan. 25, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club, Columbia Oval join the quarterfinals
Mar. 8, 1914: Pullman FC beats Hyde Park Blues in Chicago derby to complete quarterfinal field
Mar. 28, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club defeat ‘cup holders’ Yonkers FC to reach Challenge Cup Semifinals
Mar. 29, 1914: Brooklyn Celtic defense carries them past Columbia Oval, into Semifinals
Apr. 5, 1914: Niagara Falls Rangers topple Pullman FC to complete Semifinal field
Apr. 18, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club edge New Bedford FC to reach inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
Apr. 26, 1914: Brooklyn Celtic cruises past Niagara Falls Rangers to reach inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
Before the 1913/1914 Final: By boat or by train, Brooklyn Field Club, Brooklyn Celtic prepare for inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
May 16, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club wins inaugural National Challenge Cup on late winner over Brooklyn Celtic

One Comment

  • Andrew Glasgow says:

    I am wondering if you have any more background on this story or if there are names to go with the picture. I think the “Glasgow” referred to in the story might be my grandfather, George Glasgow (1889-1940) who live in Niagara Falls and at one time was the goalie for the Rangers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.