The First Cup: Second Round nearly complete as USFA announces protest results, draw for Round 3 (Dec. 14, 1913)

Posted by | December 15, 2012

Detroit’s Packard FC from the 1913/14 season. introduces “The First Cup” series, which revisits the first running of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup (then known as the National Challenge Cup) that took place from the fall of 1913 to the spring of 1914.

Editor’s note: As you read this, you’ll notice a lot of players with just one name. This is not an oversight on our part, but rather, many of the sources of this information (newspapers, publications etc.) only use the last name of players in their stories. If you have confirmation of any of their names, or any other details that would add to our historical records, feel free to reach out to us HERE. We are always looking for help with historical research.

Links to the full series are located at the bottom of this story.

A full batch of second round games were played on Dec. 14, 1913 in the inaugural National Challenge Cup. Along with a number of intriguing match-ups, the day also featured the draw for Round 3.

Columbia Oval from the 1913/14 season

It was Germany versus Ireland at the Lennox Oval as the New York Celtics of the New York Amateur League triumphed over the Metropolitan and District League’s German FC, 4-1. The game was tied 1-1 at halftime with goals from Laurie for Celtics and A. Van der Weghe for German. The Celtics broke the game open in the second half with goals from Humble, Boyle and Dixon.

Meanwhile, a third game will be necessary to break the deadlock between Hudson United and St. George, as the two Metropolitan and District League clubs played to a 1-1 draw at Manhattan Field. The teams played to a scoreless draw back on Nov. 30.

Hudson United led 1-0 at the half on a goal from right halfback Sharrock, but St. George equalized in the second half through Jackson. The two clubs will meet again on Dec. 21 to try and break the stalemate.

At Edison Field in Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Celtics had an easy time with Hollywood Inn, disposing of their New York State Amateur League rivals 6-0. The Celtics took command early, leading 2-0 after twelve minutes on goals from Campion and O’Hallaran.

Hollywood regained their composure, and nearly scored on a few occasions before the half ended. In the second half, the Celtics overwhelmed Hollywood for four more goals. Lonie scored two goals to take the score to 4-0. O’Hallaran scored his second of the game soon after, and King finished the scoring after a long run.

In New Jersey, three teams from the New Jersey State Amateur Football League squared off. In Bayonne, Babcock & Wilcox, who ended up finishing runner up in the 1914-15 NJSAFL with a 17-3-1 record, overcame Watsessing FC 5-3. Founded in 1867, by George Herman Babcock and Stephen Wilcox, The Babcock & Wilcox Co. (which specializes in making industrial boilers) still exists today, though now headquartered in Charlotte, NC.

Brooklyn Celtic from the 1913/14 season

In Harrison, the West Hudson Juniors and Alley Boys FC played to a 3-3 draw, making a replay on Dec. 21 necessary. The West Hudson Juniors were a reserve club of the West Hudson FC, which finished second to the Brooklyn Field Club in the 1913-14 National Association Football League season by a single point. The senior West Hudson team won the American Cup three times (1906, 1908 & 1912), and the NAFL championship on four occasions (1897, 1910, 1912 & 1913).

West Hudson Juniors from the 1913/14 season.

Out west at Maloney’s Park in Detroit, extra time could not break the 2-2 deadlock between Packard FC and Roses FC, with another replay scheduled for Dec. 21. About 700 spectators braved the cold weather and turned out to watch the first-ever National Challenge Cup match in the state of Michigan. The game started quickly with Packard’s Ramsay striking the games first goal with just three minutes gone for a 1-0 lead. Roses began the game with only 10 players, when one of their men was late arriving to the game. After fifteen minutes of play Roses were at full strength, and soon afterwards equalized through a goal from C. Sutherland. Packard regained the lead on a strike from Miller, and the score stood 2-1 in favor of the automobile makers at halftime.

Three minutes into the second half, Roses tied the game once again with a goal from Shankland. From that point on the defense of each club took over.

The Detroit Free Press described the play of goalkeepers Standfield (Roses) and Stevenson (Packard).

“Shot after shot was blocked by the men in the cages, who seemed to be human stone walls when the ball came into their territory.”

A few shots from each team hit the woodwork, and on one occasion Roses thought it had grabbed the lead but the goal scored was nullified for offsides. At the end of 90 minutes the score stood 2-2, and an extra 30 to try and settle draw was in order.

The defense of both clubs remained strong in the extra sessions, preventing furious attacks by each teams’ forwards. Packard’s goalkeeper Stevenson strayed out of his goal mouth on one occasion, but Roses squandered the chance to win the game when their shot went wide of the goal, and neither team could find the winner. The Packard Motor Car Company was one of the premier makers of luxury automobiles in the early 1900s. The first Packard cars were built in 1899, and continued until its demise in 1958.

At the end of the day, the United States Football Association held a meeting at the Broadway Central Hotel in New York City to determine the pairings for the third round.

Two protests from the second round were heard and disallowed in the end.

St. George FC from the 1913/14 season

First was the protest lodged by Chicago’s Clan MacDuff, who claimed that Hyde Park Blues fielded an ineligible player in their 2-0 win over MacDuff on Dec. 6. It was determined that Hyde Park were in the clear, and the MacDuffs call for a replay was turned down.

The Niagara Falls Rangers were also rebuffed in their quest for a replay, this one concerning their 1-0 loss to Rochester’s MacNaughton Rangers. Niagara Falls protested that Bliss of the MacNaughtons was playing under an amateur registration when in fact he was a paid coach of a local high school, but this was turned down due to lack of evidence. It should be noted however, that Dr. G. Randolph Manning had ordered a further investigation of the matter, so the Niagara Falls club held out hope that they might still get the replay they felt they deserved.

The pairings of the remaining 16 clubs for the third round of the National Challenge Cup were announced as follows. Five of the clubs are yet to be determined due to replays or games yet to be played.

Support and its coverage of the US Open Cup by purchasing a "Champions" shirt, honoring the five clubs from the pre-Modern Era (1914-1994) to win four or more US Open Cup titles. Visit THECUP.US SHOP

Support and its coverage of the US Open Cup by purchasing a “Champions” shirt, honoring the five clubs from the pre-Modern Era (1914-1994) to win four or more US Open Cup titles. Visit THECUP.US SHOP

West Hudson Juniors or Alley Boys at Clan McKenzie or Columbia Oval
Bethlehem FC at Brooklyn Field Club or Rangers FC
Babcock & Wilcox at Brooklyn Celtics
New York Celtic at Yonkers FC
Hudson United or St. George’s FC at Peabody FC
MacNaughton Rangers* at Roses FC or Packard FC
Hyde Park Blues at Pullman FC

*Pending further investigation of Niagara Falls Rangers protest

1913/14 National Challenge Cup – Second Round

Dec. 14, 1913

Babcock & Wilcox 5:3 Watsessing FC
Bayonne, New Jersey


West Hudson Juniors 3:3 Alley Boys FC

Harrison, New Jersey



Columbia Oval FC 5-2 Clan Mackenzie FC
Grant City, Staten Island, New York

Scoring Summary
Columbia: J. Toal (2), Willard (2), J. Maskell
MacKenzie: n/a



New York Celtic FC 4-1 German FC (1-1 HT)
Lennox Oval – Manhattan, New York

Scoring Summary
Celtic: Laurie, Humble, Boyle, Dixon
German: A. Van der Weghe



Brooklyn Celtic FC 6-0 Hollywood Inn FC (2-0 HT)
Edison Field – Brooklyn, New York

Scoring Summary
Celtic: Lonie (2), O’Hallaran (2), Campion, King.

Brooklyn: Kelly, J. Robertson, A. Robertson, Blakely, O’Hare, Butler, Campion, Lonie, McQueen, King, O’Hallaran
Hollywood: McCornick, Rentoul, Inglia, Bland, Owen, F. Martin, McLeod, McNeil, Salmond, Christie, P. Martin
Referee: G. Caldwell | Linesmen: J. Stanley, W. Christie



Hudson United FC 1-1 (aet) St. George FC (Replay)

Scoring Summary
Hudson: Sharrock
St. George: Jackson

Hudson: Anthony, Sharrock, Bone, Cusack, Hopper, Jolly, Hasall, Blyche, Brett, Brennan, Buckle
St. George: Dillman, W. Kelly, McWilliams. Molyneaux, Bernstein, Colderbank, Grant, Jackson, Phifer, McHugh, Hampson
Referee: Erksine | Linesmen: Bray, McDonald



Roses FC 2-2 (aet) Packard FC
Maloney’s Park – Detroit, Michigan Attendance: 700

Scoring Summary
Roses: C. Sutherland 1H’, Shankland 48’
Packard: Ramsay 3’, Miller 1H’

Roses: Standfield, G. Cowan, Austin, Wink, Richardson, Morgan, Horton, Sutherland, Shankland, Moore, J. Miller
Packard: Stevenson, Stead, Reed, Mair, Stewart, Brodie, Meldrum, Prendergast, J. Miller, Ramsay, G. Miller
Referee: Garrett O’Keefe | Linesmen: Leech, Ferguson

A detailed look back at the 1913/1914 National Challenge Cup

Sept. 12, 1913 / Oct. 11, 1913: How the 1913/14 National Challenge Cup began
Nov. 1, 1913: The inaugural National Challenge Cup gets under way
Nov. 2, 1913: Brooklyn Field Club begins their journey as Round 1 concludes
Nov. 29 1913: Farr Alpaca forfeit Round 1 replay with New Bedford FC
Dec. 6, 1913: Four teams move on to Round 3, two more to be decided by protest or replay
Dec. 14, 1913: Second Round nearly complete as USFA announces protest results, draw for Round 3
Dec. 21, 1913: Third time’s the charm for St. George FC as Round 2 comes to a close
Jan. 12, 1914: Rochester’s MacNaughton Rangers forfeit replay with Niagara Falls Rangers
Jan. 24, 1914: Differing opinions as New Bedford FC eliminates West Philadelphia FC to reach quarterfinals
Jan. 25, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club, Columbia Oval join the quarterfinals
Mar. 8, 1914: Pullman FC beats Hyde Park Blues in Chicago derby to complete quarterfinal field
Mar. 28, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club defeat ‘cup holders’ Yonkers FC to reach Challenge Cup Semifinals
Mar. 29, 1914: Brooklyn Celtic defense carries them past Columbia Oval, into Semifinals
Apr. 5, 1914: Niagara Falls Rangers topple Pullman FC to complete Semifinal field
Apr. 18, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club edge New Bedford FC to reach inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
Apr. 26, 1914: Brooklyn Celtic cruises past Niagara Falls Rangers to reach inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
Before the 1913/1914 Final: By boat or by train, Brooklyn Field Club, Brooklyn Celtic prepare for inaugural National Challenge Cup Final
May 16, 1914: Brooklyn Field Club wins inaugural National Challenge Cup on late winner over Brooklyn Celtic

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.