2015 US Open Cup Round 1: Shorthanded Seacoast United Phantoms edge GPS Massachuetts for first win since 2006

Posted by | May 18, 2015
Seacoast United advances to play to play Tulsa Roughnecks (USL) in Round 2
Seacoast United PhantomsSeacoast United Phantoms  
2 : 1
GPS Massachusetts    GPS Massachusetts
 Buckingham Browne & Nichols School - Cambridge, MA 

Seacoast-United-PhantomsThe First Round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup was held at Buckingham Browne and Nichols Field in Cambridge, Mass. The match was between the USASA’s Global Premier Soccer (GPS) Massachusetts and the visiting side, Seacoast United Phantoms of the PDL. The Phantoms, making their first appearance in the tournament since 2006 when they were a USL-2 club (Div. 3), got a late winner from Sofiane Tergou to hand GPS its third straight loss in the competition, 2-1.

The Phantoms advance to Round 2 where they will travel to Oklahoma to take on the USL’s Tulsa Roughnecks.

The match began on a clear, crisp, New England evening, not far from the banks of the Charles River. The match began highly contested with both teams playing evenly. The home team struck first in the 15th minute as Harris Smirko delivered a corner kick that was nodded in by GPS defender Roy Sandeman. The rest of the first half continued to be back and forth. GPS got an impressive performance by their goalkeeper, Colin O’Donnell, who finished with three saves.

The second half started off very heated. Both teams were loudly going back and forth at one another. The game was very physical and both teams accumulated several yellow cards. There were 10 yellow cards handed out over the course of the game, but the biggest came in the 67th minute when Terence Carter of the Phantoms received his second yellow card and was sent off. Carter, who scored both goals in the Phantoms’ 2-0 season-opening win over the Boston Rams over the weekend, would leave United shorthanded up top.

A few minutes later, Seacoast was very fortunate to earn a penalty for a hard tackle in the box. The spot kick was expertly taken by Seacoast substitute and former Michigan Bucks forward Anthony Grant. Tempers continued to flare throughout the half.

In the 88th minute, Sofiane Tergou would net the eventual game winner for Seacoast after some impressive ball movement. GPS fought valiantly for the equalizer in the final minutes but their chances took a hit when Samuel Brill was sent off for his second yellow card in stoppage time. In the end, the referee blew the whistle and the Seacoast Phantoms were the winner.

The Phantoms hit the road to play the Tulsa Roughnecks on Wednesday, May 20 in Round 2. The Roughnecks enter the matchup 2-4-2 in the USL standings.

Seacoast United Phantoms GPS Massachusetts
GOALS 70' · Anthony Grant (PK) 
88' · Sofiane Tergou (unassisted) 
17' · Roy Sandeman (Harris Smirko) 
SHOTS 13 6
FOULS 16 12
YELLOW CARDS 5' · Adrian Dubois 
18, 68' · Terence Carter 
41' · Andre Simmond 
58' · Barry McCabe 
90' · Francisco Abel Perez Cardona 
60, 90+' · Samuel Brill 
RED CARDS 68' · Terence Carter 
90+' · Samuel Brill 
REFEREES REF: Randall Kelly
AR:   Michael Dee
AR:  Moudir Idmalak
4th: Erl Burns
Seacoast United Phantoms
Dominic DiMaggio ((GK))
Ben Haney
Adrian Dubois
Andrew Chaput
James Drou Goff
Alex Ryan
Francisco Abel Perez Cardona
Andre Simmond
Barry McCabe
Terence Carter
Anthony Grant
 Sofiane Tergou (Alex Ryan) 56'
 Steven Polumbo (Francisco Abel Perez Cardona) 67'
GPS Massachusetts
Colin O Donnell (GK)
Harris Smirko
Samuel Brill
Roy Sandeman
Jonathan Edwards
Pumelele Maqubela
Ben Shuleva
Chris Stoker
Scott Prozeller
Nicholas Figueiredo
Keith Caldwell
 Patrick Murray (Chris Stoker) 52'
 Edward Thompson (Nicholas Figueiredo) 67'