2015 US Open Cup Round 1: Michigan Bucks dominate Detroit City FC to kick off Motor City rivalry (video)

Posted by | May 18, 2015
Michigan Bucks advance to play Portland Timbers 2 (USL) in Round 2
Detroit City FCDetroit City FC  
0 : 3
Michigan Bucks    Michigan Bucks
 Ultimate Soccer Arenas - Pontiac, MI 

Photo: Michigan Bucks

Photo: Michigan Bucks

In one of the most anticipated First Round games in Lamar Hunt US Open Cup modern era history, the Michigan Bucks cruised to a 3-0 win over Detroit City FC. It was the first meeting between the two Metro Detroit-based clubs and a match-up between the Bucks, the most successful amateur club in the recent tournament history, and City, an NPSL team that, modestly successful on the field, has built its national reputation on its passionate fanbase.

The chants of the Northern Guard Supporters, which started long before kickoff, were amplified even further by the fact that the game was played indoors at the Ultimate Soccer Arenas in Pontiac, Mich. However, despite being outnumbered and outsung, the home fans had plenty to cheer about as the Bucks got three first half goals from David Goldsmith, Peri Marosevic, and Brad Ruhaak. Le Rouge, as Detroit City is known, created few scoring chances and was held scoreless by goalkeeper Stephen Paterson.

The win snaps the Bucks’ three-game losing streak in the tournament and sends them to Round 2 where they will host the USL’s Portland Timbers 2 on May 20.

It was just the seventh indoor game ever played in US Open Cup history (the last six of them hosted by the Bucks at the USA), and it started out promising for Detroit City as the young team took advantage of their speedy University of Michigan forwards, James Murphy and William Mellors-Blair to create two good chances. Any high spirits for Le Rouge were crushed soon after as Calvin Rezende swung a long cross into a crowded box, which David Goldsmith volleyed in for the opening goal in the 7th minute.

Photo: Michigan Bucks

Photo: Michigan Bucks

Just two minutes later, Nick Wysong created a turnover just outside the box. The ball deflected off a Detroit City defender and onto the path of former MLS player Marosevic who beat the keeper to give the home team a 2-0 lead. For Marosevic, who spent time with FC Dallas, Toronto FC and most recently the New York Cosmos, it was his first Open Cup goal since he scored a hat trick for the Austin Aztex (Div. 2) against the Arizona Sahuaros (USASA) in 2010.

Then, in the 30th minute, Rezende dribbled to the corner and got past a defender and cut across the penalty area where the defense closed on him. After losing the ball for a moment, he was able to tap it out to Brad Ruhaak who rifled it in to the upper corner of the net from 25 yards out.

The Bucks took that 3-0 lead into the halftime break and after play resumed, the game settled into a rhythm as the Bucks developed methodically out of the back, stringing together short passes. Detroit City played a less patient game, generally playing long balls, creating fewer offensive threats.

Highlights: Detroit City FC at Michigan Bucks

Michigan Bucks head coach Demir Muftari

Detroit City head coach Ben Pirmann

Detroit City FC Michigan Bucks
GOALS 7' · David Goldsmith (Calvin Rezende) 
10' · Peri Marosevic (unassisted) 
30' · Bradley Ruhaak (Calvin Rezende) 
FOULS 9 15
YELLOW CARDS 74' · Alex Isaevski 
40' · Bradley Ruhaak 
89' · Afonso Neto 
REFEREES REF: Brandon Arots
AR:   Matthew Futie
AR:  Cory Richardson
4th: Nichola Schaw
Detroit City FC
Alexandre Bouillennec (GK)
Alex Isaevski
Andre Morris
Josh Rogers
Zach Schewee
David Edwardson
James Murphy
Cyrus Saydee
Spencer Thompson
Javier Bautista
William Mellors-Blair
 Abdul-Latif Alashe (Spencer Thompson) 60'
 Thomas Catalano (Cyrus Saydee) 69'
Michigan Bucks
Stephen Paterson (GK)
Zach Carroll
Francis De Vries
Calvin Rezende
Nick Wysong
Marcos Charalambous
David Goldsmith
Thomas Owens
Sebastian Wladyko
Bradley Ruhaak
Peri Marosevic
 Jeff Adkins (Sebastian Wladyko) 53'
 Afonso Neto (Peri Marosevic) 74'
 Stewart Givens (Marcos Charalambous) 86'