The potential pairings and host scenarios have been announced by the US Soccer Federation for the 2014 US Open Cup Quarterfinals set for July 8-9. As many as three lower division sides could host one of the four contests in the round with an all-MLS foursome in the other potential scenario out west.
In the northeast, the winner of the showdown between affiliated sides Rochester Rhinos (USL Pro) and New England Revolution in the Fifth Round will move on to play at either the Philadelphia Union or the New York Cosmos (NASL) on July 8.
Two other matches could also occur that Tuesday depending on the host clubs. The LA Galaxy would host the winner of the Texas derby between FC Dallas and Houston Dynamo and the San Jose Earthquakes would host that night the Portland Timbers, if they advance from their game against Sporting KC. San Jose will also host a victorious Kansas City side, though the date is still to be determined.
On the flip side, it the Carolina RailHawks (NASL) prevail against the Los Angeles Galaxy they would play host to the winner from Texas on July 9 and the Seattle Sounders, following a victory against San Jose, would host the winner of the Sporting KC and Timbers match this week, setting up a potential derby match with Portland.
With dates still to be set for their foursome, the winner of the Colorado Rapids and Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) Fifth Round contest will play host to the team advancing from the Columbus Crew and Chicago Fire fixture.
Potential Pairings – 2014 US Open Cup Quarterfinals
Rochester Rhinos / New England Revolution winner @
- Philadelphia Union: July 8, 7:00 ET – PPL Park
- New York Cosmos: July 8, 7:00 ET – Belson Stadium (St John’s Univ)
FC Dallas / Houston Dynamo winner @
- Los Angeles Galaxy: July 8, 10:30 ET – StubHub Center
- Carolina RailHawks: July 9, 7:30 ET – WakeMed Soccer Park
Columbus Crew / Chicago Fire winner @
- Colorado Rapids: Date TBD – Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
- Atlanta Silverbacks: Date TBD – Atlanta Silverbacks Park
Portland Timbers / Sporting KC winner @
- Seattle Sounders: July 9, 10:30 ET – Starfire Sports Complex
- POR @ San Jose Earthquakes: July 8 – Buck Shaw Stadium
- KC @ San Jose Earthquakes: Date TBD – Buck Shaw Stadium